I am a junior at James Madison University majoring in Sociology and Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication. I am originally from Westchester, New York and have a passion for interacting with people and creating. This page was created to showcase my experience in the communications industry, as well as my design work. You can also download a pdf version of this resume.
Ruby Media Group, LLC
Intern | Summer 2012
- As an intern for Ruby Media Group, I gained experience in the marketing and public relations field. I assisted with the creation of comprehensive PR and media strategies for client facebook and social media outlets. I also drafted press releases for events and built media lists using CisionPoint software. I created graphic content for client media outlets, and designed an editorial advertisement for RMG that was published in 914 INC and Westchester Magazine. The highlight of my internship was my role in planning our trade show booth at the Best of Westchester Party 2012, which had over 5,000 attendees. The booth consisted of my original artwork and design, promotional material for the company, and an interactive social media photobooth for party guests. You can view some of my work for Ruby Media Group below.
JMU First Year Orientation Guide (FrOG):
- As a First Year Orientation Guide at JMU I welcomed 29 first year students and aided in their transition to the university. I attended an intensive three day leadership training course and was responsible for understanding all university policies and procedures. Over the course of 1787 August Orientation I volunteered over 80 hours for the university while sharpening my time management and leadership skills.
Student Employee | Spring 2013-Present
- I am employed by JMU as a caller at Madison Connection, the campus call center. I serve as a liaison between the university and alumni by informing them of current university wide events and asking them to generously contribute to campus funds or scholarships. As part of Madison Connection I helped raise over $400,000.00 for Madison Forever, an emergency scholarship fund awarded to students in dire need.
Staff Writer and Copy Editor | Spring 2011-Present
- I am currently a Staff Writer and Copy Editor for the JMU branch of HerCampus.com. I am responsible for pitching and writing articles, and for proof reading my colleague’s work for publication on the website. Several of my articles have reached the national top 10 ranking and can be read on my HerCampus Profile. This past summer I attended the InterCollegiette™ National Conference in New York, where attendees were educated on the marketing and journalism industries. Ann Shoket, Editor-in-Chief of Seventeen Magazine, was the keynote speaker.
Alpha Sigma Tau Sorority:
Initiated Fall 2010
Historian/Editor | Spring 2012 – Fall 2012
- I served on the junior executive board for my sorority, Alpha Sigma Tau, as the chapter Historian. In addition to being a leader and decision maker in my organization, I was responsible for creating and maintaining the chapter website. The website was created using the Wix platform. I also created the slide show presented to potential new members during Fall Formal Recruitment 2012 using iMovie.
SMAD201: Fundamentals of Media Arts and Design I
- This class is designed to offer an introduction to the elements of design and provides students with basic skills in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Below are examples of my work completed in this class.
SMAD241: Introduction to Corporate Communication
- Introduction to Corporate Communication provided students with a working knowledge of corporate communication including the strategic planning process, functions of a corporate communications department, techniques for media writing, and an in depth look at publics and crisis communication.
SMAD341: Communication and Information Technologies
- This class focused heavily on social media marketing, brand building, and public relations for corporations. Some topics we discussed included word of mouth marketing, media strategy, purchasing phases, and measuring campaign effectiveness. As part of the final grade for the class, we worked in a team of six to complete a semester long research project on the best practices in social media for the consumer packaged goods industry. You can view our research blog for the assignment as well as writing samples and an ebook designed by me.
SMAD332: Print Communication Design
- Print Communication Design is class that allows students to fine tone their design skills across the three core Adobe programs with a focus on conveying a visual message. The class includes a variety of projects as well as covers a broad range of topics from logo design to informational booklets. Below are some samples of my work.
SOCI490: Independent Study in Sociology
- In fall 2012 I began researching occurrences of sexual assault on college campuses, as well as gender identity and representation in popular media. In the spring 2013, I am coordinating an appearance on campus by speaker Jennifer Baumgardner and screening of her new documentary, It Was Rape. The event is projected to have ~200 attendees and will be accompanied by a media campaign promoting feminism on campus through the Her Campus JMU organization. Check back after April 23 to see the finished product!